Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Knitting and Spinning at Spinning Ginny's

Good Morning!  Lots of knitting and spinning going on here at Spinning Ginny.  I finished up the leg and started in on the heel flap, on the Spinning Ginny Original - Handspun - Knitted - White - Alpaca - Adult Ladies Socks - Size 5
I'm getting closer to finishing up this pair.  I'm really liking how the pattern is drawing in the leg of the sock, yet making it stretchy enough to keep it from sliding down on the leg and yet feel soft.  Also it draws in the top of the foot a little more so that it won't feel so loose and baggy (unless you like your sock to feel loose and baggy, like I do).
Then I picked up the Custom Ordered Spinning Ginny Original - Handspun - Knitted - Black - Alpaca - Infinity Scarf and started knitting away on it.
I've really got this pattern nailed down now, I don't even have to use my computer to look up my pattern.  I truly enjoy knitting this pattern, although there are times were I do make a mistake (especially, when I'm knitting with black yarn).  
After knitting on the first 2 projects, I turned my attention to my new Spinning Ginny Original - Handspun - Knitted - Pink - Merino - Cabled - Hat.  Now originally I saw a pattern similar to this, but the hat was knitted with commercial yarn and also on size 10 double pointed needles.  I really liked the pattern, but since I was going to be using some of my handspun yarn and size 5 double pointed needles (that's the size I know works with my handspun yarn).  I knew that I'd have to write up my own cable hat pattern.  So over the weekend, I figured out part of the pattern and wrote it down, then started in knitting on it.  Today though I finished up the cabled portion of it and now I'm starting in to pick up the stitches along one of the edges.  
  I'm liking how this hat is starting to look.  Hope you do too!
Once I got my knitting done for the day, it was time to head over to the spinning wheel and finish ply up the 5th skein of Handspun White Alpaca Yarn.
It didn't take long though to finish filling up this bobbin, so I immediately started winding it off this off onto my niddy noddy into skein.  Then I washed it and hung it to dry.  Then headed back to the spinning room, where I weighted each bobbin again.
The first bobbin weighted 4 1/2 ounces (with bobbin) - 2 ounces (for bobbin) = 2 1/2 ounces of spun singles
The second bobbin weighted 3 7/8 ounces (with bobbin) - 2 ounces (for bobbin) = 1 7/8 ounces of spun singles
The third bobbin weighted 4 ounces (with bobbin) - 2 ounces (for bobbin) = 2 ounces of spun singles
 Total weight is 2 1/2 + 1 7/8 + 2 = 6 3/8 ounces left to spin
Now if I subtract the 9 3/4 ounces, I started out with, from the total amount I have left after plying up the 5th skein, it would look something like this.
9 3/4 - 6 3/8 = 3 3/8 ounces
is what I should have in the skein I just finished plying up.  Now its time to start in plying up the 6th skein.
Its 5:00 pm so its time to close up the spinning room.  I'll be back tomorrow though to knit and spin some more.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment