Thursday, November 5, 2015

2 skeins in the dye pot

Yesterday, the dyes I ordered arrived, so today I get to use one of them to dye 2 skeins of handspun white alpaca yarn pink.  I haven't dyed yarn or roving in a while so, I pulled out my notebook and read some of my notes.
Then I began to fill my dye pot with hot water, put it on the stove and turned on the heat.  I added 1/2 teaspoon of pink dye to the water and stirred it around to get the dye to dissolve.  Then I added the wet yarn to the dye bath and after I got the temperature up to 185 to 200º, I added 1/4 cup of vinegar to the dye bath.  I poured this in on the side so as to not let the vinegar hit the yarn.  Here's what it looks like so far.
After taking this picture, I then put a lid on it and set my timer for 30 minutes.  Then I'll turn off the heat and let it cool down slowly before removing the yarn.  I'll wash the yarn in Synthrapol and then hang both skeins to dry.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment